MiBanco Esperanza from Los Higos

Monday, November 29, 2010

Long Distance Relationships

Everyone knows that long distance relationships aren't easy. Even in an age of twitter (look to the right) and "face time", actual physical quality time together is crucial to any relationship. The work that goes into maintaining an LDR is twice as much, with half the reward. Jealousy and loneliness creep around every corner. The result is often bad. Really bad.

2 years ago I choose to enter an LDR with football. I knew it was going to be hard. I knew that our relationship would be tested. Would we slowly drift apart? Would I leave football for baseball? Would I use her name to refer to her black and white international cousin? Or would I go the extra hundred yards and make it work? To be honest, I wasn't sure...only time would tell.

Well, I'm proud to say that we've made it. Despite a crawling internet connection, spanish commentators saying words like "far vay" and "vikingos", and nearly 3 years w/o owning a TV I am proud to say that we're still as in love as ever. At the start of this season we finally purchased a TV and have the US networks in English. We also just recently upgraded from 200 kbs to 2000kbs thanks to Claro TresG going nationwide here in the DR. I also started a Fantasy Football league among some of the American staff here and everyone has gotten really into it. I'm currently in 2nd place, but will get passed by my boss if Frank Gore doesn't go off tonight.

Anyway, people often ask what we do for fun here in the DR. Now you know that at least 1 day in 7 is spent maintaining a relationship with my first love.

-Caroline

No comments: