MiBanco Esperanza from Los Higos

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Our Weekend Getaway

2 slices of bread, 8 slices of cheese, and 8 lbs of deli meat…All in one sandwich. It’s called “The Super Duper Colossal Sandwich” and it’s available at Chick and Ruth’s Deli in Annapolis for the low price of $39.99. Why am I telling you about this deli sandwich? Well, it was one of the highlights from a weekend getaway trip Caroline and I took in February.

We had both been working full-time and fundraising in the evenings since October. It was time for a retreat. We kicked it off Saturday morning in Annapolis with a US Naval Academy tour by my good friend Andrew, and enjoyed some Maryland Crab Cakes midway through. I already shared our dinner choice, although I should note that we didn’t actually order “The Super Duper Colossal Sandwich”, it feeds over 6 people. After dinner we enjoyed some homemade ice cream, and we learned that Annapolis was the first place ice cream was served as a dessert in the US. I’m glad it caught on. Sunday we headed for Baltimore’s Inner Harbor and the Maryland Aquarium. I’m not sure what we enjoyed more: seeing sharks swim by inches from our face, or seeing the little kids freak out every time this happened. That evening we enjoyed dinner and a movie before heading back home on Monday. It was fun to see 2 new places for the first time and even better to have a break.

By the way, I posted some pictures from this trip on our last post.

No comments: